Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

I had an epiphany.

Ok, so tonight in class (Educational Diversity), I had an epiphany.The reason this happened is because our class had to do a presentation titled "Who Am I?". Each studenthad to either make a poster board containing pictures, words, etc. about their identity and interests or bring in artifacts and then talk about them to the class. I made a poster board containing pictures of my family, friends, Snuggles, a camera, treadmill, my job, etc. I also talked about more things when I went up to present. Well, I thought I did a nice job of talking about myself . . . that is until other people decided to show me up lol.

People in my class really inspired me tonight. 90% of them are involved in an organization somehow, whether it be Susan G. Komen, Invisible Children, or just walking for different causes, they all had something wonderful to talk about. They all want to make a difference somehow. That's when it hit me..

I need to make a difference in this world somehow. I wasn't put here just to take up space. I need to get out there and DO something. Yes, I donate to the USO and such, but in my eyes, money is materialistic. It does help, but when you get involved and actually put forth effort, it means more.

I really want to do good and make a difference somehow. That's where you, my lovely, fabulous blog friends come in. I want to know of any great organizations out there. Things that are close to my heart are animals, skin cancer, breast cancer, and children. It is my personal goal to join and help an organization. If you know of a great one, please let me know. (I live in Maryland so if you know of something local, that would be great).

Thank you so much bloggers! <33



6 comments:

allison said...

That's such a very sweet post. I think a lot of those girls probably begin with their sorority's philanthropy. My sorority's philanthropy was Susan G. Komen. There are "Races for the Cure" everywhere, and I believe they are usually in the month of October. I consider myself to be a boring worthless person really. Oh Brittany, I'm so bummed though right now. Read my blog to see the crap that's going on.

Elizabeth said...

I think that this is a wonderful idea for you!! yay! I am looking into working at a womens shelter near by my house. I donate clothes to them already, but would love to dig deeper to help! Let us know whay you decide on! :-)

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet girl!
I have you a little something over at my place when you get a little time. XOXO

Erin said...

One of my best friends works for Kennedy Krieger out in Baltimore, so that is the only organization that I know of specifically in your area. But, Autism awareness is huge right now and there always seem to fundraisers, events, walks, etc for Autism (everywhere), so if that interests you at all...

I think this is a wonderful idea, and I agree with you: I wish I did more to help. Good for you!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I've worked with the Humane Society for years! I think it's wonderful that you're looking for a cause to devote yourself to. I also really like Unicef. Animals and kiddos. Those are what are close to my heart!

CIP said...

Awesome Brittany! I'm a big fan of American Cancer Society and anything that has to do with children, especially St. Jude's!